Friday, August 31, 2012

Aug 31st random vampire stuff



We had a free week of Teletoon Canada  in my area this week.  And this is important for the fact that is it carries the show  My Babysitter is a Vampire

I got to check out an episode.

Okay, let's see, it's a tv show based on a movie geared for kids under the age of 13 and French-Canadian originally.   Think Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Are You Afraid of the Dark 
And I can totally see why the creators would want to go for something like this.
Vampires sell.  They have for a few hundred years.
And Canadian television has been one of the best for producing vampire shows -Forever Knight, Dracula the Series, Vampire High, Blood Ties. the cartoon Mona the Vampire, not too mention the success of Big Werewolf on Campus,  okay not a vampire show but in the same vein plus it had vampire episodes starring both Corey Feldman and Corey Haim from the Lost Boys movies, and one of it's main stars would go on to play a vampire in two of the Twilight movies.

I know this is based on a made for tv movie, which I have not seen yet.

With all this said, I have to say,  I was disappointed in the show.  I know I only got to see one episode and that's not a lot to go on, but I just felt like I've seen all this before.  Again, I point out how similar it is to the feel of Big Wolf on Campus.

Even given the fact it is geared for kids between 8-13,  it still was missing something to root it.  If it's possible for a television show to have ADD, this one had it.  It made little sense and just seemed like a way too watered down version of other vampire shows we've seen in the last twenty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment